Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Foyer

I finally got to a point where I knew a blog was the only way to go. Throughout the years I've learned incredible things from amazing people that decided to give their time and effort to share their knowledge with others. I think the time has come for me to try to do the same for the people that really care, and are passionate about using their creative outlet for the sake of their own sanity! English is not my native language so I hope you are gentle while judging my grammar mishaps, just remember that I mean well :-)

I live in a small town where I unfortunately don't have anyone to craft with. To end my misery my "real friends" all live out of town so it is me, my computer and my supplies and a relentless will to learn new things. Part of my love for the creative process is being able to share and bounce ideas with others....so I've taken to the web to try to find "virtual crafting BFF's" and thankfully have been able to fill that "void" I had in "real life."

Background on my "real life."I live a pretty crazy life and most days I wish I could run away from it. I work in a world that's bizarre on a good day...a bad attempt on a comedy script the rest of the time and yet, I get up every morning and face that overwhelming task because it helps pay the bills...but most days the job sucks my soul right out of my body and I look forward to get home so I can "hide" in my happy place!

I have two wonderful children that provide a great deal of joy and once in a while, some insane migraines but wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. My other "two children" are two amazing rescue dogs that keep me grounded. They are both 11 years old and thanks to them, my world is a better place. I haven't had a good night sleep in the past 11 years because we are some of those people that allow them to sleep in bed with us, making the bed a very crowded place.

Then there is my partner in crime--the hubby guy, AKA "Saint Lee." He is a great human being and an awesome father with the patience of a Saint! His only vice in life is Golf...and he is the most fantastic cook in the WORLD! On top of it all, he allows me time to do "my own thing" and be creative and supports me every step of the way.

Oh, did I forget to say that my 85 year old Mom moved in with us 3 years ago? That provides a whole new dimension to the mix. My Mom is a very opinionated Mom and still does things her way but I'm sure I got my love for everything creative and beautiful from her. Having her at home has given me the opportunity to see how I could drive my kids insane and I'm hoping to be able to work on my own behaviors :-)

All and all I think I've kept my "act together" by escaping to my creative world. During days such as today, when I really think I can just look at someone at work and tell them off right to their face....I get home, to my safe place where everything seems to work somehow, where I have a little corner of heaven, my craft room!

I took over what used to be a "formal living room", a room that was used for about two hours twice a year and converted it into a bright craft room where I can escape from it all.  This year for my birthday my Hubbs surprised me with ten cubicles from Joann's and that threw me into a a four day frenzy while furniture got relocated, repurposed and my little piece of paradise was born!


This is a view of the far wall where I have my 8x11 papers, drawers with all sorts of goodies including embossing plates, melting pot, a drawer designated for decorative tapes, boxes for Juke Box, the Mini Your Story binding system and the rest of those "essentials" we all "NEED."

The picture below shows how I was able to get a pretty good work surface by using the cubicles as the base for a "desk." I bought a pretty big piece of plywood and went to the dollar store for ROLLS AND ROLLS of contact paper. I used that paper to cover the plywood and to try to unify the room as this is the first thing you see when you get in the door...so it *had* to be pretty! This room provides instant inspiration, a perfect place to create beautiful things.


This desk is a "hand me down" from my daughter. Since the room right across from here is the formal dinning room, and we have mission style furniture there, I decided that it would work. I have that "station" dedicated to do my heat embossing and a lot of times, do most of my cutting in here as well. I keep my markers in the drawers and as you can see the boxes on top are great "hiding places" for unsightly but necessary cutting templates, card board, acetate and a box dedicated to the Epic Six cutting and embossing "sandwich plates." These boxes are easy to reach and keep the place looking tidy. Notice my Cricut in the corner :-) I have a Silhouette that I keep in my bedroom running on Mac OS and it provides me the best of both worlds! Maybe at some point I could move the Mac and the Silhouette with the printer and the scanner and take over the dinning room as well! *lol*

Great working space looking out to the front garden! It provides great natural light. Notice how I tried to get as much stuff out of the way and that's where IKEA came in SUPER handy! I used their magnetic knife holders to put some of the flowers and buttons on cute spice cans and utensil stainless cans to put miscellaneous stuff.

Last but not least...my favorite corner! I have an INSANE amount of ribbons, some great "bling" accessories and general embossing powders, ink pads, brads, eyelets....and all that other fun stuff.

I was able to find a home for every thing here including a hide away place for the Epic Six. Everything can be easily tucked away but very accessible. The display of all the pretty ribbons plus the cube that has the glass door makes it for a very pretty corner....which is a good thing because it seems it is "out there" for the world to see!

So, from this moment forward I will try my best to bring a little bit of my life into your world and I hope that if you are having a rough day, at least I can provide a good chuckle or something that would inspire you to do something great for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. Love your room Eydie. The big window and the color you painted the room makes it so bright and cheery and I love the cubbies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of Eydie's sorry friends that live right here in the same town with her and while she talks bad about her BFF's I know she loves me. She is very patient and is willing to share anything she has with you. Eydie has the most beautiful craft room I've ever seen. I took my Dad's wife there and she almost died from craft overload, LOL. Eydie is a very talented person and does the most amazing things with her artistic talent. I'm ever so lucky to have her in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eydie, WOW!! What a lovely 'escape space' you have!! AND it's soooooo VERY tidy!!
    I have become a 'follower' of your blog and will pop in from time to time to see what you're up to ;-)

    www.emsigebiene.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Betty, you guys are the ones that inspired me into "making a virtual home." Now I just need to get busy with pictures and tutorials and all that fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete